Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Ranked 8 out of 8


Americans Show Low Levels of Concern on Global Warming:

Did you know global warming is real? Well, it is. Believe it or not. Scientists, organizations, and even the United Nations have been continuously telling us since 1989 that the world is gradually becoming warmer.

Most Americans express low levels of concern about global warming. According to Gallup Editor-in-Chief Frank Newport’s article, Americans Show Low Levels of Concern on Global Warming”, a little more than a third say they worry “a great deal” about climate change or global warming, putting these concerns at the bottom of a list of eight environmental issues. If you’re so worried, why are you putting your great deal of worrisome on the bottom of the list?

On the March 2014 chart of environmental concerns, global warming is ranked dead last. “Although there have been changes over the years, worry of global warming is no higher now than it was in 1989”, says Newport.


Pollution of drinking water is ranked first. I can understand that. I would actually rank that first too since I need fresh water to drink to live. Contamination of soil and water by toxic waste, pollution of rivers, lakes and reservoirs and air pollution would come in a close second since we need these necessities during our every day life. It’s proven that environmental concerns are highest when issues have a direct effect on daily lives.

I’m not saying extinction of plant and animal species and loss of tropical rain forests are not important. I love koalas! However, I don’t spend time with koalas on a day-to-day basis. (That might be because I live in Texas, but that’s just my hypothesis hehe). What I am starting to realize is that all eight of these environmental issues will gradually happen if global warming and climate change continue to rise. As global warming and climate change rise, our concern should rise.


When I first heard of global warming in 3rd grade, my classmates persuaded me to think it was a myth. I also remember having a lot of Republican classmates, who were not supportive of former Vice President Al Gore. (When I say “classmates” were not supportive, it means their parents because, remember, this was in the ripe years of elementary school).  

Furthermore, global warming is primarily viewed through a political lens. Democrats are more worried about global warming compared to Republicans. While 49% of Democrats believe global warming is “underestimated”, 68% of Republicans categorize global warming as “exaggerated” and that global warming won’t affect them personally in their lifetimes.



The 3rd grade Rachel would have thought global warming is “exaggerated”, but I am now realizing that global warming and climate change is real and serious. The United Nations report mentions calamitous outcomes from continuing warming that would affect the world’s food supply, economies and ways of life.

We need to educate, educate, educate. When venturing to Australia, I want to investigate on how we can better educate others and help eliminate the causes of global warming and climate change.

No comments:

Post a Comment