Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Climate Change: IPPC & What We Know

According to IPCC's Fifth Assessment Report, "Global average temperatures are continuing to rise." The change in atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases (GHGs), aerosols, land cover and solar radiation are to blame for the change in energy balance of the climate change. Scientists show that the increase in GHG emissions corresponds to the increase of global average temperatures.

Although each informative context relates to the similar climate change hypothesis, “What We Know:  The Reality, Risks and Response to Climate Change” consists of a video within their website, while the IPCC Policymakers’ summaries consist of charts and data in an article. The video and website are more visually appealing than the summaries. I am able to understand the website better than the summaries because the word choice is relatable.

The scientific definitions and abbreviations were the most confusing parts for me to understand in the articles. As I continue reading research articles, I will gradually begin to understand the scientific lingo. I want to report to the best of my ability; hence, I do not want my lack of scientific knowledge to be a downfall to my reporting. To get good interviews from scientific sources, I am going to expand my vocabulary and word choice to pertain to what the scientists research. 




No comments:

Post a Comment