Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Crikey!

In a month, I will be embarking on my third study abroad experience. I will be taking a UT Journalism class called Reporting on our Changing Environment in one of the most exotic, isolated, and ecologically diverse places on Earth: Australia. This class will operate as an intensive reporting and writing class with the goal of producing content across all media platforms. Armed with digital cameras, audio recorders, computers and notepads in the company of scientific experts and field guides, I will understand the concepts of scientific certainty and uncertainty, the science of climate change and effectively communicating that science, and the elements and structures to good science/ environment storytelling.

My class and I will travel in the state of Queensland with science experts to visit three distinct ecosystems, each of which is experiencing dramatic impacts of climate change: one of the oldest tropical rain forests (Lamington National Park) on the planet, an inland desert in the Outback (Carnarvon National Park) and the most extensive coral reef on Earth (Lady Elliot Island). Adapting to the different ecosystems and communicating with Australian science experts will promote linguistic and cultural immersion. As a broadcast journalism major and avid traveler, I believe this is the perfect study abroad program for me, crikey!

Read more about the study abroad program here


No comments:

Post a Comment