Monday, May 26, 2014

First Things First, I'm the Realest

That lyric of Fancy by Iggy Azalea has been stuck in my head all day, thanks to Charity..... Ironically, Iggy is an Australian pop artist, so that's cool.

But really, first things first, we went to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary! After eating a delicious muffin (I bought them in a pack of 2, so I am really looking forward to eating the other tomorrow morning hehe), cereal and grapes, we departed for the Koala Sanctuary at 9:30am. The kangaroos were the first thing we saw. In America, it's common to see foreign animals in cages, away from humans. When I stepped through a gate, I realized I was inside their cage! Kangroos were jumping left and right and... sitting.

Actually, a lot of kangaroos were sitting. It appeared that they knew the humans would come to them with food, so they sat still and waited for ya. Regardless, it was the most amazing thing! I was able to pet and feed the kangaroos. It made me second think if it was a good idea to eat that kangaroo steak last Friday... uh, it's the circle of life right?





That's what I have to keep telling myself. I didn't think it could get much better than playing with kangaroos until I realized we could hold a koala! Not a fake one, y'all. A real one! I was able to hold a koala. Is this real life?

I would pinch myself, but Vinny the koala was pinching me hard enough to realize that this was, in fact, real life. After I held Vinny, I went to a presentation that allowed me to learn more about Vinny and his koala family.

For example, I am able to distinguish the difference between a boy and girl koala. A boy koala can be distinguished by a brown mark on his chest. The brown mark is his scent gland which he rubs against trees to mark his territory and attract females. In addition, I found out that koalas can sleep up to 19 hours and live up to 12 to 15 years. Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary raised Sarah the koala until she was 23 years old. She made the Guinness Book of Records for being the world's longest lived koala!

In addition to seeing koalas and kangaroos, I saw dingos, kookaburras, platypuses, bearded dragons, pythons and more. The Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary was a wonderful experience, and it will definitely be hard to top off!
Vinny and me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment